Tuesday 4 October 2011

Mushroom, Spinach and "Ricotta" Ravioli

On a recent trip to the USA, I decided to treat myself to something I had lusted after for years - a pasta machine. I found this model for only about USD$60 - almost a one hundred dollar discount from what it sells for in Australia. I couldn't pass it up.

It's taken me a few months to get the hang of it, but I'm finally becoming more skilled in rolling the dough. So, for dinner last night, I decided to use my pasta roller & ravioli press to make the quickest handmade ravioli I have ever made. I follow Vegan Dad's pasta dough recipe, with a few minor adjustments: I used Type 00 flour instead of semolina, and substituted about 1.5 tbsp of the 00 for besan (chickpea flour), which I found gave the dough a bit of colour and bind.

I let the dough sit for a bit while I made the ravioli filling.

Ravioli filling ingredients:
  • 175g tofu (I use the extra-firm, but you can use silken as long as you press out the water)
  • 75g spinach, finely chopped (I use fresh because I find it easier to work with)
  • 4 large mushrooms, finely chopped
  • 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp vegan sour cream
  • handful of parsley, roughly chopped
  • salt and pepper



mushrooms


First, crumb the tofu into a bowl. The tofu has to be drained of as much water as possible. With all the other wet ingredients, it is easy to make the filling too wet, in which case the ravioli will fall apart. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well combined. Taste test and adjust the ingredients to suit. (Here is where you can also add things like dried herbs and crushed pine nuts if you choose to.)

I use one of these to make the ravioli, but it can just as easily be made with one of these. Roll out the dough, setting enough aside to cover the raviolis. Fill the holes with a heaping teaspoon of filling (too much and they will leak, not enough and there will be too much air inside!), cover, and use a rolling pin the push the air out and cut the edges.

pasta

Carefully remove the ravioli from the mould and place on a floured sheet to dry. If you pile the ravioli on top of each other, make sure to dust with flour in between layers, to prevent sticking.

pasta_finished

Cook the ravioli for about 2-3 minutes. The only way you can really confirm their done-ness is by taking a bite out of a corner! This recipe makes about 40 ravioli. Leftover ravioli can be frozen and used later. Make sure to either freeze the ravioli spaced apart or use plenty of flour in between layers, or they will freeze together and make a mess when thawed. 

Normally, when eating ravioli, I would make a cream sauce, but last night I felt like I needed some meat, so I made a very simple TVP and leek tomato-based sauce. Served with shavings of Sheese-brand bleu cheese:

pasta_2

1 comment:

  1. This looks and sounds so delicious! I want to cook it right now! My daughter is an amazing cook, I should give her the recipe. She just ordered kitchen supplies online for her new house. As soon as they get here I am setting her to work on this reciepe :)

    ReplyDelete